Since the end of World Breastfeeding week, I am still seeing tons of the #normalizebreastfeeding movement and I love it! As I wrote last week, I experienced some awkward looks feeding my little one. If you’re interested in reading about it, check out “What are you looking at.”
Because August is breastfeeding awareness month, I thought I would share an awesome recipe for lactation cookies with all my nursing moms out there. There are tons of recipes floating around the internet and I’ve tried dozens of them, but I found that these cookies work wonders for me and are delicious too! This recipe does yield a good amount of cookies, but you can always freeze some and save for another time.
- 1cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar or honey granules
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups oats
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 -4 tablespoons brewer’s yeast
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (optional)
- 1/4 cup diced almonds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix the flaxseed meal and water and let sit for 3-5 minutes. Do NOT skip this step!
- Beat butter, sugar, and brown sugar well.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Add flaxseed mix and vanilla, beat well.
- Sift together flour, brewers yeast, baking soda, and salt. (If you do not have a sifter, you can use a whisk or fork to mix dry ingredients).
- Add dry ingredients to butter mix.
- Stir in oats and chips.
- Scoop onto baking sheet. (I use a small ice cream scooper then gently press down on dough to flatten the scoops out. Otherwise you will end up with a cookie ball).
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- All done! Let cool and enjoy a sweet treat and increased milk supply!
*Note if you have a Kitchenaid mixer or equivalent, I highly recommend you use it for this recipe. The dough gets extremely thick and sticky. If you do not have a mixer, a large wooden spoon will do the job and you’ll get a bit of a work out!
If you are looking for a mixer you can find one for a good deal here:Mixers